Monday, January 20, 2020

Sticks and Stones


Sticks and Stones

Not sure where my grandma got all those pithy sayings that sum up life problems in ten words or less. I remember she had a little pillow in her room that read “a stitch in time saves nine.” I know she didn’t make them up. Probably handed down from generations not dictated by social or political correctness.

One of my favorites is “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” That has a nice ring to it but it’s not true.  As a child coming home from a rough day in school, grandma would whisper these words in my ear as if praying to the saints.

When that bully beat me up on the playground (1st grade); when the nun told me that I was dumb as an ox (3rd grade); when the archbishop told me that I would be no better than a shoe salesman (in response to my telling him I was leaving the priesthood); when the church vestry angrily suggested I find other employment (which I did gladly); and when a best friend told me that he was no longer my friend, that’s when I found out that words hurt.

Lest I leave the impression that I have spent a lifetime being a victim of verbal assault, I have a laundry list of people I have hurt with my words. Mostly in anger but occasionally with the intent of bruising another human being with words that can never be erased. I can testify that the tongue, my tongue, can be a lethal weapon if left unchecked. I am convicted about my unbridled tongue every time I read through the book of Proverbs which has a lot to say about good and bad words.

 Here’s an encouraging word from another part of the Bible: “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them…be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.”





No comments:

Post a Comment