Monday, August 31, 2020

Fireplace

 

Fireplace

 

Finally got around to contacting the chimney sweep to come and check the  fireplace. It’s been a few years and the stack and flue need cleaning. The leaves are starting to turn. Montana winter is not far away. Time to prepare. Burr!

 

In years past I would grab the chain saw and head for the woods. When Judy and I ran the ski lodge at Bridger Bowl, I would cut, split and stack three to four cords of Montana fir to make it through the winter. It was a chore I enjoyed. This was the precursor to hunting season. Ahead, there would be a lot of evenings around the field stone fireplace.

 

Now the time has come when I order a cord from a dealer who delivers a cord to my front door. This takes the fun out of an autumn ritual but it’s better than looking at a cold fireplace all winter. I enjoy stacking it in the garage. A good feeling to know I am prepared for many evenings in front of a warm fire.

 

When the days grow short and a chill in the air, Judy and I pull up our easy chairs, pour ourselves a glass or two of wine and warm ourselves in front of the fireplace. Once in a while family or friends join us. Most often we enjoy the solitude, embracing the time together.

 

Here’s a short ode to the fireplace. Some anonymous poet caught its essence on paper:

 

Although upon a summer day,

You’ll lightly turn from me away.

When Autumn leaves are scattered wide,

You’ll often linger by my side.

And when the earth the snow does cover,

There you will be my ardent lover.

 

A new season warmed by the fireplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment