Monday, August 24, 2020

Thank You

 

Thank You

 

Two nice words! Wondering why I haven’t written about them before. These  words were drilled into me at a young age. I remember my mother and grandmother lecturing me on the importance of saying “thank you.” I was told it was an essential part of politeness. It made no difference to whom it was said but very important on how it was said.

 

Our culture seems to have lost this ingredient of common courtesy. Two simple words go along way in acknowledging kindness in an increasing atmosphere of hostility. They are the building blocks of refinement in social decency. How easy to complain about this or that and forget that two words can change the atmosphere.

 

I am working on my “thank you” of late. I noticed how it touches people who serve me. The checkout lady at the grocery store, the person who helps me with the self serve bar scanner machine at Walmart. Just to see someone smile because I remembered to say the magic words.

 

I discover that I am happier when I acknowledge a person’s help. Waiting in line for anything tends to raise my blood pressure. Then I remember that others are just as important. I smile and let then in ahead of me. They say thank you. I perk up and smile.

 

My biggest thank you comes first thing in the morning, thanking the Lord for a new day and the last thing at night for all that he has provided. I know it sounds a little religious but saying those words sets my heart at rest. I have much to be thankful for and I have great need to say it.

 

Here’s a little song that helps me remember:

 

Thank you, Lord, for this fine day.

Thank you, Lord, for this fine day.

Thank you, Lord, for this fine day

Right where I am. Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment