Monday, August 17, 2020

Sunshine

 

Sunshine

 

Most days, on my early morning walks, a song comes to mind. I don’t sing out loud, letting the neighbors sleep. I hum a tune as I recite the words in my head. Some mornings worship songs come to mind. Other days childhood ditties pop up. Every once in a while, I tap the Pandora icon on my iPhone and listen through my hearing aids. The marvels of modern technology.

 

Doing this daily, I discovered that by the end of a mile and a half walk my attitude is significantly improved. I don’t wake up grumpy or down. But it does take time to shrug off sleepiness to embrace the day.

 

I am blessed to live in a beautiful part of the country. These morning walks are a visual smorgasbord of nature. The sun rising over the mountains that surround our city. The voices of nature welcoming the new day. The sounds of the city coming alive. All part of a symphony of a new day dawning. Even Daisy, my walking companion, joins in the chorus now and then.

 

What brought all this to mind was the song that popped into my head as stepped out on the sidewalk this morning. It’s a tune I haven’t heard in years. As a hummed the chorus over and over I noticed a lightness of step and a smile on my face. I first heard it as a child when Doris Day sang it back in the 1950’s. You may remember it as well. If, by chance, you don’t know the melody look it up on Google. I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face and a lightness to your heart.

 

Here’s the chorus:

 

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are grey

You’ll never know dear how much I love you

Please don’t take my sunshine away.

 

Now smile!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment