Monday, August 3, 2020

Seventy Six


Seventy Six

Yesterday was my birthday. At this stage of life birthdays are not quite what they used to be. Seventy six is a good age. The Bible says, “seventy is the sum of our years, eighty if we are strong.” With that in mind I have a few more to go. There is longevity in the family genes so I a confident that this won’t be my last birthday. My doctor says that I am in good shape for the shape I am in.

When I was born the Second World War wasn’t over. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was president. The atomic bomb was still in the making. Radio and the newspaper were the major means of communication. There wasn’t a television, computer or cell phone to be found. Streetcars were a major form of transportation. Although I don’t remember that time, I am told life had a more leisurely pace.

I remember my mother telling me how excited she and dad were when I was born. I was the first of eight children but not necessarily the smartest or best looking. Mom kept the hospital bill for my birth. She was told that I really wasn’t hers until the bill was paid in full. When she gave it to me as a birthday present one year, I was shocked to see the total, $350. I was worth it.

Yesterday was also our forty fifth wedding anniversary. I know, who gets married on their birthday. I did! It’s easy to remember that August 2nd is a very important day. Hard to believe that Judy and I made it this far. Not sure how she put up with me all these years. I had a good friend who quipped  “the first fifty years of marriage are the hardest.”

I credit Judy for making sure I lasted this long. She is the one who continues to hang in there with me. Here is a word from Proverbs 31 that says it well. “A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds, never spiteful she treats me generously all her life long. Many women have done wonderful things, but you’ve outclassed them all.”

Oh, by the way, no need to send gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment